Monday, February 13, 2012

Life, the Universe, and Everything 2012



So had a great time at the fantastic Utah speculative fiction/arts conference Life, the Universe, and Everything this past weekend. The new venue, Utah Valley University, was superb, and I hope it becomes the new home. It was great seeing good friends and making new ones and occasionally eating really awesome food with them (three cheers for sushi and Thai, especially the geisha roll and beef waterfall!).

Among the highlights were James Owen's keynote address and meeting him: one of the best people you'll ever meet. Also enjoyed teaching a class on speculative fiction elements that was well attended (which shocked me, since I was up against some strong heavy hitters in the same hour [bow to Dr. Carlisle]). One of the most unique offerings of the conference, though, was a class one of my best friends, Donna Milakovic (Mill-ack-O-vitch), taught on networking professionally. Also, I'm glad Mette Ivie Harrison knows who Guy Gavriel Kay is (and raised her hand when I asked in my workshop).

It was a blast. I love this conference and the people it brings together: authors, artists, gamers, professional costumers, ex-Navy Seals, former bearded ladies, hobbits, and the occasional jabberwocky.

See ya'll at Storymakers in May! And Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers in June!

(P.S. Who is that woman with the awesome boots and the zebra print every year!?)

8 comments:

Julie Daines said...

It was a great conference! I just hope I don't fall into the category of "former bearded ladies." Unless you mean that creepy lady turned poet from Atlanta, in which case I still don't want to be her.

Anyway, I enjoyed your class and the panels. Lots of insight and great information. Awesome conference! Looking forward to Storymakers 2012.

Kirk L. Shaw said...

It was fun hanging out, Julie. Thanks for coming to my class/panels! It's great to see friendly faces in the audience.

Karen Sandler said...

It was my first time at LTUE, and I had a blast. Your 5 Things workshop was definitely a highlight. So great to meet you. I'm sure lucky to have Stacy as an editor, she knows everyone!

Carl Duzett said...

I was disappointed to miss 5 Things when they changed the room numbers and it got too full, but I enjoyed your insight at the Local Publishers panel.

Kirk L. Shaw said...

Thanks, Carl!

Laurel said...

Sounds as if you had a great time. cheers

Caitlyn E. Mitchell said...

Nominated you for the Liebster Award!

http://caitlynmitchell.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-award.html

Todd Hicks said...

Your blog is very aesthetic.